Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Larsen last day of skiing family reunion at Alta!
We started out the day on Albion. Chase and Adam are snowboarders and not skiers. This was Adam's 3rd time on ski's and Chase's first time. So we began on Albion. With the help of a few pointers from Tom the two of them are skiing up a storm. They will need a little more practice before we haul their fannies onto black diamonds - but I see Freestyle skiers in the making.

In the Beginning there were 9....this is Chase's first lesson!

It really is a good idea to point your tips downhill! Chase caught on quickly and then he wanted us to follow him where???????

The sun was shining and everyone had a smile for the day! Chase, Morgan and Shauna riding the chairlift. Dad, Grandpa, Gary, Bullfrog, he goes by all 4, is 72 and his favorite run is to ski nonstop from top to bottom. Thigh burner runs.

After lunch the cry for Baldy Chutes was issued. We rode Sugarloaf chairlift to the top and headed west over the saddle then climbed to 11,068 feet in elevation to the top of Baldy Chutes. The 4 of us were the ones to answer the call. I will not lie. As soon as the call was issued, my knees started shaking and my heart rate went up. The climb is not the scariest part for me. It is the drop off the cornice (this time the cornice was pretty much gone and we just dropped off the ridge) into the chute and the first 5 turns that have my adrenaline going. But I have patient brothers and a Dad who encourage me. Not to mention the little voice in my head telling me to "just make the stink'in turn".

Thank you Tom for taking the pictures! I will work on my form next time.
We skied Baldy Chute and live to tell about it! :)
Online info tells me that there is 750 vertical feet in the chute with an elevation drop from 11,068 to 8,500 feet and pitch of 38-40 degrees.

This is about half way down the chute. Dad and Rodney are already at the bottom. The snow was fabulous, there was enough melt that there was some grab to the snow and no ice! The no ice-is my favorite part. It had been skied enough that there was small bumps formed in the chute. I loved it!
A few more runs to loosen up our legs and then we take our traditional last run of the day on High Rustler! The traverse to high rustler can be a little scary, some really fast skiers zoom by you, as you cross the top of sunspot, stonecrusher and lone pine. A lot of people gather on the rocks in the sunshine to throw snowballs at on coming skiers, fly kites and be happy, before they take their last run of the day. Mom (Froggy), Rocket, Tom and I made last run down High Rustler.

This is Froggy. I want to ski as good as my parents at 71 and 72 when I grow up! They rock!!!!
And Rodney on his tele skiis.

Then, we end the day in the parking lot having chips and dip, sloppy joes, salads, the biggest oreo cookies (Jamie made) and remembering the day! A few of Mom and Dad's friends stop by to grab a sloppy joe and say goodbye for the season.
Geri got to Alta about our 2nd run and Shelly brought up the sloppy joes. Our missing members were, Kevin who was home sick, Tiff and Rob are in Chicago, Josh is in Oregon and Arial was in St. George.

What a great day! Thanks everyone! Love the fam!
The End of another season!

2 comments:

Bri!!! said...

You really are the coolest family I know. Shauna, you ROCK for going down that chute!!!!!!!

Rob and Tiff said...

You are a brave soul! Just looking at that drop has my knees shaking. Wish we could have been there to enjoy the fun with you.