Sunday, February 7, 2010

Changes

I have been thinking about changes in our life a lot lately, due to two weddings, a new grandbaby on the way, kids moving and a quieter house. Then I ran into a friend in the grocery store who has had some challenges with changes and I had to sit down and write this! Thanks for inspiring me D, and hang in there!

Changes
We start out as a little princess in our parent's eyes!
From crawling, to running and chasing butterflies!
We are sweet and loving as little girls can be!
While throwing ball, building forts and playing army.
One day it's curls and bows and lacy stockings.
Dollies and strollers and tea party sittings.
Tomorrow will be ponytails, Levis' and flip-flops.
Cowboys, Indians and paratropper airdrops.
At school I can sit quiet and be real helpful.
Until I punch the boy who just stole my pencil.
I want to be loving and kind and polite.
Can I wrestle, play ball, and hunt with a knife?
So many choices of who I want to be.
A little of each is the choice for me.
When along comes a man and I become a wife.
Add a few adorable children to fill up my life.
Laundry, dishes, lessons and car pools.
Chores, homework and teach them some rules.
Most days are happy, while some are sad.
I try to stay positive and never get mad.
Then the kids learn to drive and stay out all night.
They stretch their wings and grow to full height.
Deliver lunches, money, go shopping and movies.
Discussions, debates, advice and agreements.
A child, a sister, a mother, a mother-in-law.
A Friend, a counselor, a sheriff and Grandma.
Sports director, chef, maid and chauffer.
I'm a Doctor, a counselor and a hair dresser.
The house is empty and it's just us two.
Where do we go and what do we do?
So many choices of who I want to be.
So many me's to sort and set free.
I'm not really crazy, just surviving the changes.
Look at how many I've had through the ages!

2 comments:

Holly said...

What a beautiful poem. I love it! The changes that come each and every day as we go thru life, the challenges, the love, the life!

Vicky said...

wow you are really good, I loved that!! : )