Thursday, August 13, 2009

Check this off the bucket list!

One of the things I have always wanted to do is to climb to the top of Mount Timpanogas! Put my head in the cloudless sky at 11,750 feet above sea level. It has taken a few years of "let's hike Timp" and I finally reached the summit! Friday July 31, Left Rodney's house about 7:00 and headed to the Timpanogee trailhead with Adam, Jamie, Rocket and I. On the trail about 7:30 p.m. We hiked about 3 miles up to what I call the ledges.

We spent the night under the stars and the almost full moon listening to the hundreds of hikers going up to the saddle in the moonlight. Have you ever noticed that when you are talking at night, the sound carries alot further, or is it that when you speak, because it is dark, you talk louder. Anyway, all you hikers and myself included, when you hike at night. There are people sleeping. Yes, Staci, Reeter is on the trail and way ahead of you! Keep hiking and "shut up". Sorry, had to put that in! As you can tell, we didn't get a lot of sleep! The trail at one point was a line of lights going up or down. On the other hand, it was amazing that so many people want to share our natural resources and hike this incredible hike.


8:00 a.m. Aug 1, on the trail. What a hike! Up and up and up. .



The wild flowers were in full bloom and we had fields of red, white and blue of flowers.



First you come to the saddle and can look down the trail, to the north east, or over to Emerald Lake and the glacier, east, or all of Utah County, west. The saddle is probably 50 feet wide and I didn't feel as dizzy as I did at the top.


To get to the top, you have to zig zag up the rock. Look down and it drops 1000's of feet. Then sit on the top, which is only about 10 feet wide but felt like 1 foot wide. Here I was dizzy, either altitude, adreneline, hungry, tired or just glad to be there. But what a view! And I did it! Now some of you may read this post and think no big deal, but it took many years of trying to get someone to hike this with me. Either the timing was wrong or I was asking the wrong people. SO-THANKYOU!!!! Jamie, Adam and Rocket. We did it! We lived!

Now, which way do we want to go down? Back the way we came, or slide down the glacier? Did you see how steep that glacier is, but we are here and we needed the full Timp experience. I would have been disappointed if we had gone back the way we came. So off to slide the glacier. A mountain goat was standing at the bottom of the trail where the glacier starts. It was a good sign!

Adam, is ready! Rock stabilizers in hand, GRRRRRR!
Rocket is preparing for a speedy descent!

If my feet hadn't slipped out from under me, I would still be up there, talking myself into letting go!

What a day!

4 comments:

Bri!!! said...

I LOVE TIMP! It is my favorite place on earth. I LOVE the wildflowers up there. Maybe next time I'm in town we can set up a trip.

Rob and Tiff said...

WAHOO!!! I bet that glacier ride was a blast! I'm glad you were able to make it to the top and complete a goal. I would love to do it with you sometime.

NikkiAWardell said...

How BEAUTIFUL!!!!! What a great experience!

Vicky said...

Way to go, beautiful pictures!!