Monday, May 4, 2009

I was blessed to be asked to chair a service committee for BYU Women's Conference this year. My assignment was Humanitarian DrawString Bags. I really think that I was blessed with the easiest project and the best team!

Our job, was to cut as many bags as we could, from a huge pile of rolls of fabric sent down from the Humanitarian Center.

We cut 2088 bags by 2:00 p.m. (in 5 hours) and used all the fabric sent to us!

I had a team of 13 and a lot of women from the conference looking for service, while they listened to speakers and were spiritually fed.

I am humbled and inspired by the women on my team and the women who attended the conference. I didn't walk away feeling like "I suck" but that I do make a difference and I am a daughter of our Heavenly Father and he LOVES ME!
When sitting in the Marriott center, with 16,000 women, how do you feel like you matter? How do you feel like you make a difference? How do you feel like you are special? I was surrounded by women with talent and abilities that I do not have. I am surrounded by leaders and workers and spiritual giants. But I realize that I do not have to change the world, be on television, win a gold medal, all I have to do is to go home and love my family. Thank goodness that I have a family that loves me unconditionally, a family that will be there through illness, wellness, grief, happy times and everything else in between. Friends that will give their time and help cut fabric for 2 days, lend a smile, send an email. And I knew, from the moment that I stood to the applause of the Service Committee’s and turned to see a sea full of 16,000 women, applauding, not for me, but for what we stand for, what we are willing to do to help others, for time spent in Service, that - We do make a difference, in a world full of doubt and indifference. And we are here to fight for what is right!

3 comments:

Rob and Tiff said...

You do make a difference! We love you more than anything. Thanks for always being a great example of how to serve and love those around you. You're awesome!

Bri!!! said...

That is amazing. You definitely have made a HUGE difference in our lives. We love and respect you more than you know!

Starla said...

What a power there is in a united sisterhood!!!! Nothing can stop it and how fabulous you got to be a part of it all!!! Good work girl!!!