Saturday, May 21, 2011

In the beginning.....
There was a swimming pool, running shoes and a bike.
Then there was a friend named Jodee who called and said
 "There is a "Women of Steel triathlon" race, you should join with me."
So I did!  And so did Kim!
--Bike and Running shoes are ready!--
Jamie, Kevin and I had already decided in January that we were going to swim this winter to:
Change things up, give us something else to exercise.
Our first swimming days were comical.  We floundered, we splashed, we plowed
through the water and worried the lifeguards, that someone might need saving.
--I'm ready!  Let's do this!--
 So, I contacted a swimming instructor who gave us some pointers.
Much needed and much appreciated.  No drowning for us!
This is the pool.  You swim down one side of the lane and then swim back on the other side of the lane.  Move over to the next land and do it again.  Completing 3 lanes for 300 meters.  I felt like I did good.  The training helped.  The hard part was slower swimmers in front or s-walkers.  (Swim-Walkers).  It was hard to pass.
 Jump out of the water, run to the staging area and get on the bike.
My favorite of course!
Two laps for 12.75 miles on the bike and then...
Run, Shauna, Run! 
3 miles to the finish line.
This was a lot of fun.
Jodee did great,  so did Jodee's daughter-in-law Shauna.
And here Kim and I are celebrating.
And scheming, when should we do another Tri. 
Thanks Jodee for the idea!
Thanks Kim for the hours in the pool, encouraging my swimming
And our early morning rides!
Finished in 1:40:56 only 19:46 behind first place in my age group.
Swim 9:14, Bike 48:22, Run 35:25.
Kim finished in 1:42:36.  She swam and rode the bike faster.
Oh-I did this the day after my birthday!  Makes me feel young!

No comments: