Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Eyes!

When the girls were dating, I used to ask them, "do they have the eyes". They would ask, "what are the eyes" The eyes are what I fell in love with.

Do they sparkle with a love for life?
Can you look in them and see that you will be loved for eternity?
Do you feel safe when you look in the eyes?
Do you know that you will be taken care of, physically and mentally?
Do you see a soul mate?
Do you trust the man behind the wheel?

Yesterday, we picked up Chase, then drove to Snow to see Morgan dance in a recital. It snowed all day and the roads were snowpacked. What should have taken us 1 1/2 hours took us 2 1/2 hours to get there.

We missed the first two dances but did get to see the last one, get some icecream, give a few hugs, load the truck with things to bring home, then headed for home.

Driving down the canyon on snow packed roads became an adventure. In 4-wheel drive the roads were still slick. We broke traction twice and slipped and slid down the road. Being a ninny for scary things that could bring death or destruction to my favorite source of transportation, I squealed the first time we went sliding, only to chastise myself for maybe scaring the driver.

The second time was a doozy! We started sliding to the right - I closed my eyes and hung on to the arm rests, really really tight. And I held my breath. No screaming came from this mouth. As Kevin straightened us out to the left, we kept turning/sliding to the left. I felt us turning and opened my eyes as the guardrail, protecting cars from falling into the ravine that would eventually land us in the creek, or river, or whatever was at the bottom came closer and closer to front end of my beloved truck. But the brakes worked and we stopped.

I love a man with eyes that sparkle in the face of danger and keep me safe, alive, upright, headed back down the road in the right direction and says, "that was awesome!" I think he was hoping it would happen again!

2 comments:

Bri!!! said...

This post is so cute. Wow, that road is the worst road on the planet in the winter. Super scary. When I drive home for Christmas, I have to make sure it's clear weather cause that road in our car would be HORRID! LOVE YOU! Can't wait to see you all!

Rob and Tiff said...

"That was Awesome!" doesn't surprise me that he said that. Every time we turn on to our road Rob deliberately makes the car slip and slide just so he can squeal with excitement. However, I do what you do, hold on for dear life and trust him to get us out of it safely. Then breathe a sigh of relief once it's over.