Friday, November 13, 2009

FEAR!

Motivating, Debilitating, Adrenaline booster, Paralyser, apprehension, terror, Moves you to the top, Keeps you at the bottom, Kicks you in the pants to get something done, or stops you in your tracks to not move.

Fear is considered to be the strongest motivational drive.
What does fear do to me? Makes my heart race! While painting the top of our trim on the house, I had to climb up the ladder to get to the top. About 30 feet (Kevin say's 20) in the air. No sweat say you standing on the ground, but fear of falling and breaking my head wide open had me clinging to the ladder! Fist clenched around my paint can handle, knees pressed into the ladder rungs, I didn't dare adjust my feet in case I changed the balance of the ladder and it slipped.

Of course I checked and double checked the ladder before climbing up to make sure it wasn't going to slide down the house. Made sure it was level! I was ok climbing up, but once at the top and the wind would blow or I would have to lean out to not paint my face, the fear of falling would flash across my mind and I would do a little, ooooohhhh.

Now that I am done, I realize how much my thoughts of the pain and the unknown were contributing to my physical distress. But, I did it! The back is painted! Come spring, I will paint the front and go for the heart racing experience all over again. Anyone want to join me?

Truth be known. I like to face my fears and conquer them :)! I love the exhilaration of defeating fear! Of out thinking the fear monster! But, I do have my limitations!

1 comment:

Michael J said...

Hey looks like you all are having a great year, that hallowween party seems like a blast, great costumes.

I got to read a little about your bike trip from the east, what an adventure, did you ever read that boook called zen and the art of motorcyle maintenence, this trip reminds me of that, maybe only becuase your crossing on bikes, but great anyway, keep up the ventures and as a painter i´ve got to tell you you´`re doing great with that ladder! -Mike